Jul 5, 2006

Traffic

If Saigon leaves one lasting impression on its visitors, it is the traffic. Take a look at this video I found, which I think is the roundabout at the beginning of NTMK. The constant hustle of the bikes, the seemingly impossible flow of two, three and four wheeled 'vehicles' (as some can barely be described) and the death wishes of pedestrians can be forever engrained in your memory. It's probably better to be like that, than to think its all normal like I now do. That's what they call a 'false sense of security'. If your going to drive around these streets, you've got to be alert and vigiliant the whole time. None of this daydreaming about the World Cup final that could have been - that's when someone decides to do a u-turn in front of you......

I find there are a couple of places you can go for a striking view of the chaotic traffic. One is at what I think is the start of Cach Mang Thang 8, as you come off the bridge that leads from District 4 to District 1. Here you can see down a long stretch of a busy Saigon thoroughfare. Here's a couple of snaps I took there the other day, indeed my new banner was taken from the pictures.


This city has to be the only place where I can feel like a goody two shoes for waiting at a red light. Sometimes I feel more in danger actually slowing for a red because the people behind have no intention of doing so and could easily crash into the back of you. There are some reds when you're waiting and you could go and everyone else is going but sometimes you wait because its bred into you and it's the right thing to do. Whilst doing this the other night and watching everybody sailing across the clear junction I did feel like a real goody two shoes. No! I'll remain firm......! You can only go on red at the clearest of clear junctions! Even then with extreme caution! When in Rome!

I remember back in the U.K; even if you pushed it through an amber light there there would be panic and ensuing excitement in the car as the passengers scan for any blue sirened witnesses. Passing through a red - absolutely, catagorically NEVER! The person who passes through a red would automatically be labelled a MANIAC!

See my other rant about the traffic here.

1 comment:

Think V said...

I love the Saigon traffic video. Soooo hilarious ( and scary) at the same time !!! I'm really glad that you and the video maker survived the crazy traffic. Though I'm really not sure if I can anymore. Well, great post, Jon !!! Keep up the good work !!!