Feb 16, 2007

New Years Eve

For the first time I feel part of this holiday, having been dragged into it by my wife's enthusiasm. One things for sure, I wish it was TET all the time because the streets are deserted (relatively). No buses and no businessmen riding solo in 7 seater SUV's. Today I managed Q11 to Binh Thanh in under 15 minutes and Binh Thanh to Phu My Hung in 17 minutes, surely a record. This morning we visited Dam Sen, as I had read about two 1 ton rice cakes that would be on display. I misread as it was still being cooked. This thing looks primed for 18th century iron smelding, in fact it's an industrial size wood fired oven that was cooking the aforementioned cakes.

Oven

So, the two cakes weighing 1000 kgs each took 40 members of staff to prepare. They cook for 48 hours. One will be taken into District One tonight for the celebrations, and one will remain at Dam Sen to be eaten at a later stage.

Oven 3

Not really part of the TET celebrations but these models have been cleverly created using all kinds of cutlery -- plates, spoons, bowls and dishes.

Bird



Dragon 4

Most impressive of all, these huge dragons that look out over Dam Sen's lake.

Dragons



Dam Sen

New, stronger dragons rule the lake now. It's Darwin's theory boys, sorry.

Dead dragons

My wife and her country.

Chi


Back in the city, and the entire Nga Bay Roundabout is awash with red, flags and ballons bobbing in the breeze.

Ballons

Chi, my trouble and strife, promised we'd be having a big lunch, but I had no idea this entailed cooking enough food for the next ten days and putting it all on display 'just because we can'.

Cooking 4



Cooking 3

Cooking 2

Cooking

Everything has been cleaned, polished, buffed and scrubbed and looks good as new. The larder is stocked, the rice and salt are in. Got me new set of clothes, as did the family. So, looking good. Feeling good. No want for food, drink, cleaning, or anything else in the next week or so....ahhh perfect..I got that TET feeling. Well, that's the idea anyway...we're off to Cambodia on Sunday morning!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so cool of Chi to drag an Englishman into celebrating Tet and its festivities :) Its not so bad, right? The food looks delish...Wish you both all the best for the new year and have a fab and safe trip to Cambodia.

Jimmy Tran said...

Man, I'm friggin hungry reading this at 1am. I thought my undergrad days were over...

Alice Thomas said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gall Bladder Symptoms said...

Nice to find the post related to my searching criteria

Professional Seo Service said...

Nice and such a great article you share with us. Online Seo Service

Cheap Logo Design said...

This blog is an exact representation of skills. I appreciate the blogger for posting the most excellent thought.

Hire a magento developer said...

Its a good blog and i think most of internet users are likes your information, so please create more blogs like this, because its good benefit for those peoples. thanks for sharing a wonderful information.