Dec 8, 2007

Thu Thiem

Saigon is a large, heavily populated city. I have visited, driven through, worked in, or lived in almost all the districts of the city. Thu Thiem however is an exception. For years I have watched the bikes streaming off the ferry and entering the flow of traffic on Ton Duc Thang. For years I have gazed at the old SANYO advertising board over the river and wondered what lurks behind. In my mind, it was a row of old sheds and not a lot else. So one Sunday when passing and with little else to do I ducked onto the small ferry, paid my 1,500 VND fee, and finally took a look at Thu Thiem.

Picture 001

Of course, it mostly looks like the rest of the city, and the first route I took was an anti climatic road leading to the bottom of the Saigon Bridge. That ain't nothing new. Eventually, heading back into the heart of Thu Thiem, I found what I was looking for, or at least what I suspected was here.

Picture 003

Picture 005

To me, this was amazing. After resigning myself to the fact that Saigon is a chaotic jungle full of choking fumes and ruined by traffic, I find this -- a peaceful countryside lane within ten minutes of District 1.

Picture 008

Picture 013

The road led to the Saigon river, and a view out over District Four and Seven and their various ports.

Picture 010

Of course this little hidden corner of the city, so far protected by water, will soon be opened up massively by the East-West highway project (including the tunnel under the Saigon River). A bridge from Binh Thanh to Thu Thiem will be finished by TET, and eventually will link to the highway, another bridge linking from Thu Thiem to District 7.

Here's the highway under construction, looking back to District One and the tunnel under the river.

Picture 015

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thu Thiem is on schedule to become the next big commercial center of the city. Your countryside will be gone in a matter of 2-3 years (with buildings going up for the next 10-15 years I would guess)

Jon Hoff said...

Sure. I was going to dig out a couple of TN articles on the plans, but couldn't find them (the search option on the site is PATHETIC).

Anonymous said...

My two cents...Saigon of course has known a very uneven growth rate. It exploded during the 'American War' years with hundreds of thousands of internally displaced pouring-in from the Mekong Delta and other war affected regions. After 1975 Hanoi forced disastrous 'new economic zone' policies on the Saigonese expelling families to the country side (without much success -most came back)...followed, especially after 1978, by economic collapse. When I first visited Saigon in 1991, the city was frozen in time...waiting for better times.

Kayla S said...

Hello nicce blog