Dec 15, 2007

Helmets Everywhere

I am sure this won't be the first blog on this topic....but here we go.

We've all seen the headlines, and driven under the red banners strung out around the city. We've heard the whining, the complaining, the excuses. But now is judgement day. According to the article 'Nation to dole out swift justice for those spur new helmet law', "beginning December 15, thousands of traffic policemen, special task forces and traffic inspectors will be deployed to supervise the wearing of helmets by all motorists." The fine is $9, or 150,000 VND.

So it was with an intrepid and curious eye I stepped out this morning. Happily there is a 99% compliance on the streets this morning.

Picture 497

Picture 499

Picture 501

I only saw two traffic policeman on my drive, much the same as a normal morning, only the helmetless woman they had pulled over was being photographed by the press!

7 comments:

layered said...

I wish I was there to enjoy this -- I am back in the US for holidays for a month. My best VN friend said he would rather take the bus than wear a helmet. So I presume he is on the bus for the first time today.

Anonymous said...

I just got back here after waiting a long time for my return... Arriving on the day before the law took effect, it was pretty amazing to see what seemed to be 40% helmet-wearing bikers to near 100% helmet-wearers.

I did witness a kid get his bike confiscated though because he wasn't wearing a helmet :/

Anonymous said...

thanks for the photos,
----------

they could add few holes on the helmet to release some heat

what're the consequences of this on the mass behavior? :)

bad hair-do will be the norm now!

possibly, sloppiness becomes more acceptable behavior or excuse :)

more people will have pocket comb!

seeing more road side apprearance checkings in the rear view mirrow

people will use bathroom more often to make sure they look presentable => (bathroom hinges or door will be broken more often)


mohawk hairstyle won't catch on in VN, possibly butt-headings will be in style :)

Jon Hoff said...

Haha, yes Viet, a few of my fashion conscious students have given up on their hairstyles thanks to the helmet laws!

Anonymous said...

am i the only one in tear about this subject? i am a vietnamese living in the U.S.. and one of my better memories of Saigon.. is driving through it just letting your hair loose in the air on a hot summer day. and now i have to wear helmet now? i guess time change and it is a good policy..nonetheless.. i like the old way of thing..:(

Tuyen Tran said...

"what're the consequences of this on the mass behavior? :)"

Actually, I've been thinking about this and I believe this will push more and more people in Vietnam to buy cars.

Anonymous said...

sold at Fred Flintstones auto mall :)