Mar 11, 2007

Cambodia : Transport

Yo yo yo! HOLD THE PHONE

Somehow I forgot to finish off my report of the Cambodia trip -- well it's just a few pictures really. Pictures however, that will perhaps bear some comic value -- maybe you'll smile a little (as if you were passing a little wind), maybe you'll call your friend in from the other room, or maybe you'll shift your chair back a little from the desk, put your head in your hands between your legs and shake it gently from side to side in disbelief.

Now seriously, I hope you'll respect the tone of this post considering I've been in Asia for around three and a half years and here in HCM for over two of them -- so when I say the things you see on the road in Cambodia are probably unparalleled in this universe, you gotta believe me. I mean here in Nam I see guys driving their motorbikes with huge sheets of glass and I hardly blink. I see cyclos with scaffold ten times their length doing a left turn into oncoming traffic -- I dodge the approaching beams actually thinking about getting home in time for Sportcenter on ESPN. Over in Cambodia, I was leaning out of the window trying to angle my camera screaming at Chi 'Look! Would you bloody look at that!'. Obviously expats living in Cambodia are used to it. Just a few kilometers from home and I'm a stinking tourist all over again.

This guy has a stack of bicycles that are bigger than the actual van taking them.

Cambodia Traffic

This van was literally on two wheels. The entire left side of it was rusted through and the whole thing looked like it was about to disintegrate. This is the means of public transport for some Cambodians, sitting atop a van or a pickup. The vehicles are loaded until not one more limb can be squeezed in, there must be 20 people sometimes, that's forgetting the cargo.

Cambodia traffic

Finally...this one....which is just.....errr....well....funny? Or ridiculous?

Cambodia traffic 2

1 comment:

Jimmy Tran said...

The last one reminds me of my college days. Ahhh, I miss you Berkeley.