Nov 4, 2006

Getting Married Vietnam Style Part X

The hired transport left the Majestic Hotel at around 3.10pm with me, the groom, slamming the dashboard and screaming obscenities at the driver. I climbed into the car. The guy looked at me and said innocently 'di dau anh?'. Two things to do. 1) Arrive at the hotel on time. 2) Actually know where they are supposed to be going. They got 25% right.

The car brought me and my parents to the alley that leads to Chi's house, my helpers for the day followed up in a wagon behind. Traditionally, the groom brings eight trays laden with gifts for the brides family. Here's me and my guys lining up in the correct order - my parents first, then me, then the rest. The trays also had to arrive at the house in a certain order, so the most important two went to my brother and sister, stood behind me.

Still waiting

The procession got going once a delegation from the bride's house had straightened our lapels. Does this look like a sight that would halt half of Binh Thanh district in its tracks, cause it did.

On the move

Next we turn the corner and are greeted by Chi's helpers for the day -- here my sister and friends arriving.

Arriving

Inside the arrangements are simple. I stand in the corner. My parents sit at the table with her parents. My boys line the wall sat on plastic stalls. The other half of the room is taken up with Chi's relatives and friends. All in all around 30 people in a very small room on a hot day -- number of fans avaliable : 1. Everybody is ready, and Chi comes from upstairs to join me. First I present her with the manly bouquet I had carried across town.

Hand over the flowers

Next the trays were uncovered to reveal their sumptuous contents -- fruit, wine, cake, more cake and some cakes.

What's in those trays?

Next, if memory serves correctly, we handed out symbolic cups of wine to the folks. My memory is only hazy due to heat exhaustion. It was the hottest wedding ceremony on record. 30 people in a brightly lit room in the middle of the day in Vietnam with no aircon -- not a good idea -- and of course there's nothing like being the center of attention to add an extra bead of sweat to your brow. I was continually being handed small paper tissues to stem the flow, but even a 5 star bath towel would've struggled with that job.

Sweaty Occassion

Next, the rings went on

Ring time

And then the old man was called on to make a speech. Fully unprepared, he did a good job, despite the cause of my amusement in this picture, heckling from my brother.

Norm's speech

So that's about it. Here's what it looked like from above.

Bird's Eye

And here's my boys tucking into the wedding cake -- from right to left -- Bernard and Richard from the Raiders, Gabe who is a teaching colleague, my brother Jamie, my old school friend and best mate who somehow managed to make it to Vietnam James, and finally captain of the Raiders Pierre.

My boys!  (eating)

My boys!

Cheers boys!

Part 6 & 7 to follow this week.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jon and Chi,
Congratulations on this final step to your marriage. Chi looks to be the person most self-assured and calm at the wedding. It must have been especially wonderful to have your family members there. The process seems to be more formal than I thought it might be. Was the Vietnameese woman in the black suit the wedding coordinator? I am looking forward to your next posting where I presume some frivolity will ensue. So Jon, does this mean you have moved from your Tran Khac Chan neighborhood?
-- Mel

Jon Hoff said...

Hi Mel.....It was great to have the family there, and it made Chi very happy too. The women in the black suit is Chi's friend who acted as translator for the ceremony. We are still living on Tran Khac Chan with no plans to move for the time being!

Anonymous said...

congratulation . I am glad that you stick to Vietnamese wedding traditions. Impressive .
duypips@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

Hey man, firstly, congrats, and secondly, wow whatta mission with all the traditions and ceremony! I always see all the wedding processions coming out of the hotels in HCMC with the beautifully decorated cars etc and now you've added some insight into the whole process. Thanks and great blog!

Anonymous said...

Congrats Jon! Love the pics and witty (as always) commentary. Wow, I woulda loved to have seen that procession marching thru Binh Thanh -- the Vietnamese must have stopped and gaped with mouths wide open. What a spectacle.

Cheers!

charvey

Anonymous said...

jon!
I hope you had a fantastic honeymoon!
The wedding was grrrreat, i had lots of fun.
Chi is wonderful... and so are you!
Liking the fit close-up of me :-/
haha and Jamies not too happy about his sweaty back photo!
Do you know if you've got that journalism thing yet?
Love Soph
xxx

Jon Hoff said...

Well no one would have known it was Jamie's sweaty back in the pic until you just said it.
No I don't know yet - it'll be at least the end of december before I find out.

Anonymous said...

wow! You never cease to amaze me with your 'when-in-Rome-do-as the-Romans-do' ways. That's fantastic that you and Chi managed to have a traditional VNmese wedding with friends and family involved. They must love you both dearly to travel to another continent to be a part of it (and I'm sure had all of your 'hem' ogling at them). What a wonderful wedding albeit a little sweaty! I find the simplicity of it very beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Congrats mate. Great to be able to share your special day with you on here. Looks like the IT degree paid off big boy!!
See you soon.

Anonymous said...

Jon Oi!
Congrats to the 2 of u. would loved to have been there adding a few beads of sweat to the occasion but I'm currently job hunting in Brisbane.
Best o luck as a married man, more power to ya. Love to Chi also, she looked beautiful.......
Hen gap lai,
Muireann

Anonymous said...

NO WAY!!!
I read all of that with the largest of smiles on my face - CONGRATULATIONS, but I seem to have missed approximately 3 years of your life, if you ever get a chance to fill me in on how this wonderful union occurred please do - same old email address!
Love to the Hoff and his gorgeous Missus!!!

p.s. location details required, looks like there's a new place to visit on my travels! ;-)

Anonymous said...

I've been following your blog for a while and wanted to say congratulations. It's really interesting how your experiences have mirrored my own. I was married in Saigon in 2000 (http://groups.msn.com/
JayandUyensHomepage/
weddingpictures.msnw). It looks like the paper work process has not changed. Thanks for the stroll down memory lane and best wishes for a happy life together.

Jon Hoff said...

Jay, thanks for the link, I had a look at your pics. Did you enjoy your day out at the photo studio as much as I did?
I presume you and your wife are no longer in Vietnam - you are back in Scotland? I'd love to hear how your wife has adapted to life in the UK, and if you had come across many other Vietnamese over there.
Cheers
Jon

Anonymous said...

Hi Jon,

The photo session is a fond memory now, but at the time it was incredibly hot and the lights they used made it even worse. I started out with tissues, which were useless; finally someone brought me a small towel which helped to keep the constant stream of sweat off my face. We left Viet Nam in 2002. My wife and I live in the US, Oklahoma to be exact (my family is of Scottish heritage, thus the theme of my website). There is a moderate population of people from Viet Nam or of Vietnamese decent here. My wife has adjusted well, made easier by the fact she has her parents, one sister, an aunt and several cousins living here. We return to Viet Nam every few years and I look forward to retiring there someday.

Cheers
Jay

Jon Hoff said...

Jay - I see. I just presumed you were Scottish! I'm well aware of the large Vietnamese communities dotted all over the US, however, a lot more unaware of any that are in the UK, where we will spend some time eventually. I can't imagine my wife being comfortable without at least a few speakers of her native language around her. When I lived in Korea it took three weeks to find another native English speaker in the small town I was in, and by that time, my head was exploding! So I understand the need to articulate in one's own language -- even if her English is good, it's not the same as having a good natter in your mother tounge.

Anonymous said...

정말 축하해...
못가서 미안하고 -한국말읽을수잇지.
제수시(yout wife)한테-축한한다고 전해줘...congrations

B.B friend Jae pil