Nov 9, 2006

Getting Married Vietnam Style - The Final Part!

I have just read an article about blogging, the title of which was 'Nobody cares what you had for lunch', so bearing that in mind, I'll make this the final part of the Getting Married series. I've added a link in the catagories section to direct FW virgins to all 6 glorious episodes.

So, we leave the house and still the paparazzi wouldn't leave us alone.

Damn Paparazzi

We drive to the Majestic Hotel, where we check into our complementary, windowless room secreted in the arse of the hotel, next to the staircase that leads to the health club. Call down the parents to join us in guzzling a bottle of champagne, and then head up to the restaurant in time for 6.00.

The stage 2

A table

We stand by the doors and welcome the guests as they arrive.

Signing

Now it's time for a caption competition: Am I thinking 1) 'Who are these people?!' or 2) 'That looks like about 200,000 in that envelope, ok, you can come in.'

What's going on ere?

Here we try and copy our wedding picture. Not too bad, although my head is way off.


Copy the picture

So I'm bouncing around the room when Chi says me - "Come on, the ceremony's about to start". I'm like - 'huh?'. I put down my 12th ice cold glass of Tiger on the nearest table just as I get yanked by the wrist and the lights go out -- a lady's voice announces us and to my horror, on comes the intro to 'Eye of the Tiger'. Duh k duk k duk k duk k DUK, DUK DUK DUK, DUK DUK DUK, DUK DUK DEEERRRRRR........immediately I motion to the guy at the CD player that I will hang him if he doesn't cut the music. Much amuesment, especially it seemed at the table where my family were sat. Funny that. Anyway, the M.C's proceeded with a diatribe that would have made Cupid himself snap his arrows and clip his wings, whilst I did my best to ignore them and look cool on the stage. Then, we toast.

Wedding&Honeymoon 018

And then, we get smoked out by the dry ice. So romantic!


Dry Ice


I hope you got the general idea, plenty more pics of the 150 guests who eventually turned out, but they slot into the 'Nobody cares what you had for lunch' category as easily as a warm knife slides through flesh...no, sorry,.....I mean butter.

Today is my new wifes birthday, so HAPPY BIRTHDAY HONEY! Here is a picture of you doing what you do best, smiling!

Happy Chi!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

that was beautiful, i hope to find love like you two

Jimmy Tran said...

Again congratulations Jon to you and your "nhà tôi" (I hope that is cordial slang).

Anonymous said...

That "Eye of the Tiger" intro must have been heart-wrenching, and not in a sentimental way!

Jon Hoff said...

That's right henno, not sentimental. That is one I had to take on the chin.
Chin up jon boy.

Anonymous said...

Oi gioi oi ...qua dep:)

Sarah Truong said...

Oh ! That's cool. But the first picture, u "show off" your ring , right ? ( I'm just kidding ) ^^

Anonymous said...

It's been 2 years since you posted this, but I came across it because I was curious what steps I would have to take to get married in Vietnam .. . it sounds painful, but the end is awesome. Thanks you for sharing this for everyone to read.

Anonymous said...

ahhh Jon, u make me wanna get a divorce and get married againd =))

JonH said...

lucky bastard!
I still have to wait till Tet 2012 to marry my sweetie....assuming she'll have me. Ha Noi here I come.