Dec 20, 2006

Writing for a living

I added more links to 'My Other Stuff' -- mainly my most recently published articles on Travelfish. Currently I am working on a guide to Saigon, including where to eat & drink, how to get here, how to get away from here, how to get around when you're here, what to do when you're here, accommodation listings and suggested itineraries. So on Sunday afternoon I visited 12 guesthouses in the Pham Ngu Lao area, picking up cards, chatting with staff, viewing rooms and jotting down notes. Here's my hot tip for the year -- try the deluxe room on the 11th floor at Anan hotel (it's on Bui Vien). It's $40 and it has an amazing view over Saigon.

Once all the sections are complete they'll be packaged into an e-guide, a downloadable pdf. I think individual sections will still appear on the site anyway, for example my Dong Khoi area 'Eats' section. Tell me what you think of it. Of course, it's hard to narrow it down, there are so many places to eat...so I just went with the places that I like, and hope that I have good taste.....! Also recently added was my feature story on Con Dao island which complements the listings I wrote earlier. See the feature here.

Chi & I head to Malaysia on Saturday -- some shopping and R&R in KL. Once I return it'll be on the road to write and update more listings. Firstly, Mui Ne and Phan Thiet, mixing business with pleasure as we'll spend New Year there also. Then, off to Dalat for at least a week to write listings from scratch. After that, Nha Trang, again from scratch. Should be a very busy, but very fun few weeks. So blog direction for a few weeks after Christmas will be veering away from HCMC and focusing on some of the attractive tourist destinations near here -- Mui Ne, Dalat and Nha Trang -- if I get time to post anything at all!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a great xmas & new year and hope to read more of your excellent blogs in '07.
Please blog Nha Trang, it's my favourite destination in VN.
cheers from Down Under.

Anonymous said...

Have a Merry Christams somewhere in your travels, and Happy New Year throughout for your new marriage and business.
-- Mel

Anonymous said...

Malee Thai is average at best. Golden Elephant is much, much better. Check them out if you haven't already. Across the street from Xu.

Have a happy holiday!

Jon Hoff said...

Must be the sister of the Silver Elephant right? I've always had a damn good meal at Malee, what can I say!

Anonymous said...

Actually, I think it's the brother. I've tried almost all the Thai places in town (except some new place on Mac Thi Buoi across the from the new bank tower building) and GE is the best so far. I used to go to Malee until I found GE. They had a really good waitress, but she was hired away by Pepperoni's in PNL. Service and food went down after that (and that Dildo they have on the shelf above the tables is a bit odd). Anyway, good luck with your new pursuit!

Anonymous said...

I'm going to VN on holiday during Easter '07 and can't wait to try the restaurants that you mentioned! They all sound great!

Will look forward to reading more of VN's hotspots and tourist attractions.

Happy Holidays!

Jon Hoff said...

Well now I have to go back to Malee before trying GE to have a look at this sextoy on the shelf...are you sure!

Anonymous said...

I haven't been to Malee in 8 months, but it was there the last time. As you walk in the door, it's on the right side of the restaurant on one of the shelves above the dining tables. It's very ornately decorated!

Jon Hoff said...

Girl from OZ - Will it be your first time in VN?

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to your postings on Nha Trang and Dalat since they were my childhood stomping grounds. Can't wait to see how time has changed them. Have a fantastic holiday.

Anonymous said...

Have a great time on your travels Jon.
Have to say that although I love Nha Trang, Dalat rules for me. When I visited in April it had changed a lot since my previous visit in 96 but mostly for the better. Hvve come to the conclusion that it is one of those places in VN that is better when flown to as the drive is not a favourite of mine.

Phil

Jon Hoff said...

Thanks Phil and Happy New Year!
I m flying to Dalat as well to save time, oherwise I will lose a days work....and I don't really mind either!