Dec 15, 2006

The 100th Post

Welcome to the 100th post of The Final Word (in Saigon)! Started off as a load of boring tripe -- now it's turned into a kind of dogs dinner that carrys a faint whiff of wet mustard. So well done blog, and well done blog readers for putting up with such crap. Anyway, most 'readers' probably treat the site like a three year old impatiently treats a story book -- just looking at the pictures. Probably better off that way to save your brain from slowly folding in on itself. See what I mean?

Anyway, to really hammer home the 100, I have conducted Saigon's first unofficial foreigner census. It is full of gaping holes, but that's where you come in -- you can help me fill in the gaps. My groundbreaking research has involved calling consulates. That's it. What a journey it's been.

So, without further ado, here is what I've got:

Australians - Consulate says 850 but estimate double so we'll say 1700.
Cambodians - The consulate has 'no idea how many Cambodians reside in HCMC'.
Canadians - 300-600 the consulate says, let's go for 450.
Chinese - no answer (I mean the phone, not the question)
Danish - 100-120 estimates my Danish friend Brian. 110 it is.
French - Consulate claims there are 2747 French registered in HCMC. Unless someone left yesterday.
German - 200-300 says Clemens, and he should know. 250
Japanese - Consulate assures me they have an orwellian 1984 registered here.
People from Laos (Laoitians, is it?) - More than 100, all students of the Vietnamese language (and of the course the guy in the consulate so actually its 101).
Malaysians - More than 100, a very rough guess from the consulate.
Netherlands - Reply from the consulate says 280.
New Zealanders (Kiwis) - Consulate says 80-100, I'm saying 150 because I can. And because I think a lot are not registered.
Norwegians - 32 including lonely Oyvind, my Raiders colleague.
Russians - the consulate could not disclose this sensative information over the telephone.
Singapore - just before they hung up, they said 'no idea, what you asking us for?'. Ken from Singapore (again, Raiders) says at least 200, so I'm going with 300.
Koreans - Here's the big one -- consulate estimates between 30-40,000. I'm going with 35,000.
Swedish - 80.
Swiss - 248 current last week, says Jonas from Saigon Raiders.
Thais - consulate general no less told me over 500.
United Kingdom - consulate says 900 Brits are registered, they estimate double that at 1800.
United States - the consulate could not disclose this sensative information over the telephone (surprise surprise). I would go down there to ask myself but I fear I would fail the retina scan.

So, my running total at present is 45 199. That is mostly registered souls apart from an estimate from the Brits, Aussies and Kiwis. This number is excluding the Yanks, so how many of you are there -- any ideas? Also excluded, South Africas, Henno.....? Filpinos? Indians? Indonesians? Spanish? Italians? OK, I have a lot of work to do, I'll update again next week. Consider this crusade to count the foreign residents of Saigon underway!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, I really do wish there were more Spanish, Italian and Iranian girls here...errr...I mean, Spanish, Italian and Iranian people. Yeah, people. People are people.

Does this call for a tally of Hanoians? (Uh, I'm too lazy to do it. Come on Vietnamese God, take one for the team)

Anonymous said...

Can I count my cat and dog as American or are they Vietnamese? The US Consulate registration forms are not really clear on this :-)

I have heard that there could be around 2-3 thousand Americans in Saigon.

Anonymous said...

I am so wondering what the figure is for Hanoi these days. I remember when it was just me, my Mom, my sister, and like a handful of other people!

Anonymous said...

I wonder what the attraction is for the Koreans in Saigon? There are so many compare to other nationalities.

Anonymous said...

french figure is for Saigon !? isn't it ?

I guess there are uch more Frogs ...

Jon Hoff said...

VG - There are so many Korean companies here, hence the Koreans.

Seb - the number is only registered frogs - are you registered with the embassy?! So there are probably loads more like you say.

Anonymous said...

I'm not registered with the US consulate. Does that make me a bad person? Or does it mean I've noticed they don't do a damn thing for me anyways.

Anonymous said...

Interesting figures Jon - thanks for that.

Always interested in how a population is made up - the BBC website recently did something to identify how many brits are living around the world (do a search on the BBC website for emigrate) - Vietnam came up with 3,000 including 13 pensioners - not sure whether that includes Gary Glitter or not.

Phil

Jon Hoff said...

Brian -- I have heard stories about the 'helpfulness' of the US consulate.

Phil -- Hi! Yeah I saw the 'Brits Abroad' thing on the BBC, very interesting. 3000 in Vietnam? That sounds about right (registered) - so maybe 5-6,000 is a good guess at the real amount of Brits here.

Anonymous said...

The US Consulate will help you in times of trouble (civil unrest, natural disaster), otherwise they leave you alone. Good idea to register with them so they can contact you in times of nee.

Anonymous said...

At last count there were between 30 and 40 South Africans in Vietnam :) May have grown or shrunk since then, I dunno!

Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Bit late to add, but I would imagine the US count of expats would probably be very hard because alot are Viet Kieus, and some will be Americanized and others are just coming home with a different citizenship. Your call if you see them as foreigners or not...

Brian said...

I am an American and never registered with the U.S. Consulate. I did not know that I needed to. Whoops. Wow. I did not realize so many foriegners were living in Saigon like me. I seem them from time to time but not much outside of District 1. I live in Tan Binh myself. Like your blog.

Jon Hoff said...

Brian, you don't have to register..registration is voluntary (any kind of registration is voluntary)...