Mar 19, 2010

That Vietnamese Thing

Ahhh family.

Or should that be: ARRRGGHHH! Family.

Those of us bethrothed to a lady of another nationality have not only the Mars/Venus collision to deal with but also the at times stupendous cultural differences to hurdle and manage. Understanding women is the holy grail of any man's life. Cultural 'clashes' however are certianly not always down to the wife and the wife alone, the accompanying family can have a large part to play in our headaches ( I will use the possessive pronoun 'our' representing all my bretheren in this situation).



In my experience potentially the most explosive sitauations are tiny misunderstandings. Things so easily get lost in translation, a sea of idioms, facial expressions and lost sarcasm. Never communicate important matters in writing. In the larger, longer term picture - we have to accept that there are some things about the Vietnamese that a foreigner may never understand - and that's not a bad thing either. For some it adds to the mystery and excitement. To others, it mounts into a burden of frustration. I know of many who have split from their foriegn spouses - but statistically we know of the divorce rates in western countries and should image the rate of divorce in mixed marriages is no higher if not much less. This article talks about it a little.

Now add children.

TET 2010 010

Our little babies come into the world and bless em they take over our lives and we watch them grow with joy. Parenting is a contentious issue in any household, never mind one that has to share the mindset of two continents. It starts from birth. Vietnamese traditions with regards to the birth of a child are not for the fainthearted and include the mother moving back in with her family, not leaving the house for a month and also not showering. Amongst many, many others. Personally, I think it all a load of nonsense with no basis in reality, but that's an opinion. I would have struggled to go along with it all if I was in a traditional family. Chi is also not worried or concerned with 'traditions' of this nature and although she has a large family, they are not close. Furthermore we had Louisa in England, away from all that cultural interference that, I am sure, just adds to the stress of the new mother who just wants to be left alone with her new baby. For this, Chi was doubly glad. It was a nice start. Others suffer the brutal onslaught of aunts and nannies and grandmothers storming the poor little thing and dicatating the environment and conditions of the first weeks and months. I guess it all depends on your family situation, but I'd imagine most westerners come to a compromise with thier adopted families - as in, when to back the expletive away from my little son/daughter and let me do it.

As soon as we returned to Nam with our 7 month old daughter under our arm the 'advice' began. Two tendancies the Vietnamese seem to have towards babies. One is to gorge them on food - gigantic bottles of formula milk being shoved into their mouths. When they should be moving onto solid foods (natures hint is the teeth she provides), they tend to be force fed bottles of liquid food as well, even until they are 2 or older. Louisa has been chewing on carrots and eating rice since she was younger then a year old. Concerned aunts seemingly try and grind Chi down by saying that Louisa is 'too thin' just because she is not as 'plump' as all the other babies. You can see them with a big bottle of food and a small towel hidden behind their backs just desperate to shove the whole lot down her throat and fatten her up. Well, she looks OK to me. Proud to say, 100% breast fed till this very day.

TET 2010 002

Taking a walk in the park and a Vietnamese father in broken English asks me when Lou started to run around like a maniac, as she was at the time. I told him she started walking between nine and ten months old. Rather pitifully he looked at his 13 month year old son who still could only sit on his bum. 'What kind of milk does she drink'? he asked me, as if all he needed to do was change his brand and suddenly his son would be up and about. Sure, children develop at different speeds, but absolutely no doubt about it, the environment you create for them has a massive impact as well. And this is point number two. We call it mollycoddling. Overprotection. Incessant carrying of the child doesn't help it develop muscles in order to lift its head, then crawl, then grab the furniture and haul itself up and eventually take its first steps. Babies get carried here I feel way too much when they should be left on their backs and then their fronts in a safe space on the floor. It is also, in my opinion, essential that baby smacks his or her head on the table in order to learn that table is hard and it hurts when you smack your head on it. Same goes for eating dirt/flowers/grass/grit/fluff etc. Depriving these sensory learning experiences that wire the brain with a proper understanding of the world impedes development.

I would add my own disclaimer - T.V. This flickering, confusing and noisy instrument has no educational benefit for young children - yes, even if it is on Disney channel. What it does do is interfere with the development of the area of the brain that handles attention - and the ability to hold attention. Whilst the child is staring hypnotised at the machine it is missing out on the more important happenings around it such as watching and hearing the conversations of adults in the room - amongst the many health problems associated with over exposure to TV is attentional disorders and speech problems. Anyone wants a copy of this book, mail me. I digress, TV is by no means an exclusively Vietnamese problem.

Hopefully I've explained some of the pitfalls and tribulations involved in a mixed marriage and raising children within one, and some of the irritations I have come across being a father in Vietnam. All stereotypes within this post must be forgiven for the sake of the whole.

Finally, here's our daughter Louisa, 16 months old, with her latest trick, making herself dizzy when the music comes on...

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Jon,

I enjoyed that post very much and often wondered what it was like for a western father in Vietnam.

When I lived there I didn't have the opportunity to embark on a relationship with a Viet and therefore any kind of discourse outlaying the experience makes for a good read!

TW said...

Well spoken about all the little things to expect/look out for when expecting a little bi-cultural one. I sure appreciate all the insight now with ours coming in under 2 months.

henno said...

Sarah and I noticed, and often commented on, the "little buddha wrapped in cotton wool" effect we saw there every day: Kids old enough to go to preschool being prammed, carried around, or still on the bottle.

Personally I find it disgusting and it makes my stomach turn that you could do that to your child, but that may just come from my cultural insensitivity (or common sense).

Love the video, she's grown so much and is very cute, not to mention the great party trick!

Van Dang said...

I love the video of Lou. She is just so cute and smart. I can't wait to see her again!

Anonymous said...

About TV - I think in Western countries, it's generally accepted that TV is bad for kids ("it rots your brain"), even if we let our kids watch it anyway. In Vietnam, TV is the universal soma - most houses have it turned on most of the time. There is no notion of any negative effects arising from watching TV.

Anonymous said...

Formula companies are just evil - they have an all out marketing campaign trying to convince the uneducated and naive masses that formula is better for their babies than breast milk. If it contains DHA, it must be good, right?

Jon Hoff said...

Agreed on both points...

TV is ubiquitous in Vietnam.

As for the formula milk..well..indeed. As long as the tin is nice and shiny and promises that it is good for you, then it must be! Just print DHA on the side and it'll sell like hot cakes!

Anonymous said...

Btw have you applied for a PRC yet? I'm in the midst of applying for a visa exemption. I heard another agent say that in reality, no one is granted a PRC.

Jon Hoff said...

I gave up on PR - I also did some more digging and discovered it is very hard to obtain. We are going a different route now - my name is being added to our business license. Hoping to get 3 year TRC very soon, will blog it as soon as it happens.

Phil65 said...

Many of your comments on cultural differences being a minefield rang very true. Less so now but the early days with Lan in the UK were littered with issues. Try explaining pubs to a girl when what she hears is 'den of iniquity'
Lou's looking great - what is it about toddlers and spinning?

Unknown said...

Jon, please keep on posting. I always enjoy your take on VN. Your communication style is informative, objective, insightful and not at all condescending. If I were you, I don't think I would be able to voice my feelings as eloquent as you (took me 10 mins just to compose this comment). Love all the videos; love everything about your site. :) Melissa

Jon Hoff said...

Phil, so glad to hear from you! I thought you were still lurking somewhere..;-). I'm sure we've been in the same boat many a time..

Melissa, many thanks for your generous comments! I'm glad that at least to you, it comes across that way.

Unknown said...

Your bit about force feeding babies and over-liquefied food was like a page out of my own book of "Battles with My Vietnamese Mother-In-Law," coming in as battle #1.

And, a standing ovation for your rant on mollycoddling and TV watching. It would make a really good public service announcement.

To go with that I'd like to add a gentle reminder that:

If you see a baby with a rash/bruise/eczema or any sort of tender area that it is neither ok nor necessary to touch it, no matter how concerned you are.

Speak to babies in words, not jibberish, so their language develops.

and

Yes, that is a little person, not a toy.

Anonymous said...

I detect a hint of superiority attitude in all of you. As if Western standards of child rearing is uber. Like many ancient Eastern nations, Vietnamese balances their approach to life on science as well as cultural philosophy/common sense. Sure, let your girl eat the plant to teach her cognitive reasoning. Then you realize that Vietnam has numerous poisonous ones and maybe that is not the best approach anymore. When the man ask you what milk you are feeding your child, he is not a stupid ignorant peasant. This is one of those lost in translation, nuances of language you talked about. I am surprise your wife hasn't explain to you what he really meant. Or is it just the snug Western attitude that as long as we think our way is better/we are right, lets not even try to understand why people do/say things differently. Far as I can ascertain, Vietnamese babies grow up to be pretty decent people and advance their nation rather impressively. Notwithstanding their difficult history or how incorrectly all of you think they are raising their children. Difference in accepting other's differences and judging them.

seniorDog said...

JonHoff , I am the follower recently added to your blog. I really do admire and appreciate the various bits of information and real-life experiences of life in VN. You are highly eloquent, witty and straight forward in your comments. Of course, after all, English is your native language and what you said reflects your culture and upbringing. I am Singaporean and my spouse is Vietnamese. We have a daughter at ten plus and it's a blessing that she gave birth in Singapore. Yes, only when Cindy was about 3 years old did we 'dare' to bring her back knowing all the differences in child rearing between this nation and the somewhat westernised country of ours. Of course, my wife is also exceedingly proud of her country, reminding me all the time that they have close to 3000 years of culture too. It's like you said really challenging for a meeting of compromised thoughts to find a balance in a mixed marriage. I suppose with my Asian upbringing, I can manage better than my Western counterparts in this. Please keep on blogging to bridge cultural gaps and make this world a better place. 'Judging one another is a common failing among ordinary global citizens'.