Jan 17, 2010

Thi Nghe

Thi Nghe is an area within Binh Thanh district where Chi grew up and where her Mum still lives. Today we wondered through this part of the city, strolling back from a trip the zoo. Thi Nghe is just the other side of the bridge where NTMK becomes XVNT - sure you know what I mean.

Market under the bridge.

Thi Nghe


It's really the alleyways that never fail to fascinate me. The stillness of the air, the different hums and clicks and calls, punctuated with a harsh engine passing by every now and then. And the community feel.

Thi Nghe


A gloomy dead-end.

Thi Nghe


A second floor extension constructed of corrugated iron.

Thi Nghe


Wood house.

Thi Nghe


Then, just round the corner, the narrowest house I have ever seen...there must barely be room to lie down across the width of this place. Knowing Ho Chi Minh City, it's probably half a mile deep.

Thi Nghe


Chatting to a neighbour.

Thi Nghe


Three generations.

Lou 11 Dec 09 050

1 comment:

sophie said...

I like this post Jon! I especially like the three generations photo, it made my face go into a smile.