Aug 29, 2006

Me is always right

Man I gots to get me one of them grammar books, or I'll get into hot water. Thankfully my blog isn't a lesson for any of my students, more a blank pad for my own ramblings where grammar, spelling or punctuation infractions come under the 'couldn't care less' catagory. I'm not trying to set an example here, my standards aren't high enough, but I can assure you any mistakes are unintentional. Obviously I am literate enough to string together a few coherent sentences, so the mistakes I have made which were pointed out to me as 'ironic for an English teacher lamenting a lack of standards' were fairly minor anyway. The standards I was talking about are slightly different to an English teacher misplacing a semi colon on a weblog.

Really I just want to get back to blogging my thoughts on Saigon.

My most recent thought is this. I think I have discovered the ultimate paradox of life in Vietnam. The traffic VS the pace of life. People here pretty much risk their lives just to save a couple of seconds on the road, and I'm sure that's one of the causes of so many accidents, people being in such a rush. "Gonna make that gap between bus and Chally, gonna make it.....oh ****". You are constantly harrassed by drivers behind you to hurry yourself up. It's like everybody is late for something or they're superstitious that if the bike stops moving for more than 5 seconds it will blow up...(you've seen the movie Speed right?). It's especially annoying when someone cuts you up and nearly sends you onto a road side bo luc lac grill, then you have to think "What's the bloody rush, chump!". Here's the paradox, step off the bike and nobody seems to be in a rush to do anything. It's a game of 'find the nearest hammock'. The streets are full of people slumped in their chairs or over their bikes, lathargically chewing a cocktail stick, eyeing this parallel universe as it streams by on the road. Any explanations out there?

If you got to the end of yet another text only post, well done. I'll soon be back to the more entertaining photo posts of yestermonths gone by.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jon,
I can't say about England because I have never been there (unfortunately -- some day, I hope) -- but if you take a lazy American high school kid and put him behind the wheel of a car, he becomes a totally different person. Same same here, but different perhaps -- there is also the emphasis on face saving here which I guess leads to a lot of the jockeying for position that you see on a motorbike.
My wife says the horn-honking is required by the law to let people know you are coming so that the other person doesn't turn into you as you approach from behind. Sort of makes sense. For a very thorough explanation of the horn-honking, refer to a posting by Virtual Doug at
http://virtualdoug.typepad.com/virtualdoug/2005/11/captain_hornblo.html
-- Mel

Jon Hoff said...

Indeed. It took a long while to get used to the horn honking when I first arrived. Then one day it suddenly clicked, so much so I named one of my posts 'Misunderstanding the horn'.

Anonymous said...

Maybe they are in a hurry to get off the road (because they are dangerous) and not because they are in a rush to get anywhere. I might be tempted to do that as well.