Aug 11, 2007

Trees go up, trees go down.

Efforts are being made to keep the city green, especially in areas where there is a chance to start with a clean slate. Out in D7, a new traffic island has an ornamental lamp post in the middle and is surrounded by newly planted flowers.

Picture 320

This road has a line of young trees planted down the middle.

Picture 324

Good effort, I think to myself. Well, hold your horses, because back in District 1, the trees are coming down. Why? Please let me know.

Picture 330

All down this stretch of Ton Duc Thang some of the trees have been reduced to lonely stumps. I saw them at it on Nguyen Dinh Chieu as well.

Picture 331

Please, please don't take away my oxygen.

3 comments:

Ching Santos said...

What can we do to stop them? ~_~

Anonymous said...

My understanding is that they prune the trees to stop branches from falling onto people on their motorbikes below when storms blow in. Apparently some people have died from falling branches. I have seen old, mature trees be pruned so badly that the tree dies, or never recovers to it's former glory. Once the tree dies the shade has gone and the street is transformed into a hot, uglier, polluted one. When I was living in Saigon I saw whole shady streets have their trees butchered, never to recover. What had been beautiful, shady streets were gone forever. It is a disaster, and the fear lingers that one day all the trees in Saigon will be dead stumps.

Anonymous said...

I assumed you should have seen them doing this every year on the typhoon season? They just cut off the branches so it will grow again shortly but sometimes they do seriously mingle the whole tree.