Nov 27, 2006

All Sorts

Seems like I'm back to what I do best here. Talking s**t. As I mentioned before, a good blog adheres to the 'nobody cares what you had for lunch' doctrine, but today I'm throwing caution to the wind. I have no philosophical posers for this week, only the usual Saigon titbits. And if you're not interested in what I had for lunch yesterday, you better sod off, cause I'm gonna tell you anyway.

Firstly, the Raiders, captained by yours truly, won the 15th May School Soccer for the Streets tournament. Thanks henno for a good game in the group! We got a direct pass into the final through being the team with the best record from 5 groups. Granted there was a team of girls in pajamas participating, but the knockout stages were competitive and we beat a fairly decent team from 'Coke' in the final. It was safe at 3-1 especially after our sole Vietnamese player Vu poleaxed their best player with a fair but slightly mental challenge. Pics from the event later, for now, only this one.

Picture 050

Other news. I've found Vietnam's narrowest house. They must be a family of wafers, or someone's put it up for a laugh. Or it really is a by-product of population density in the city.

Thin House 2

Well, at least they have a roof terrace.

Thin House 1

Now, HERE'S WHAT I HAD FOR LUNCH......forget a traditional sunday lunch of roast potatoes, chicken, peas, carrots and stuffing -- here's how we do, Vietnam style. All lovingly prepared by my new wife, let me take you through this nap-inducing belly bloater of a hot day's feastathon.

Pork on a stick:

Pork on a stick

Veggie cooked in Garlic

Veggies

Also included -- fillets of mackeral cooked with fish sauce and garlic and pork soup with more veggies. Add steamed rice.

Sunday Lunch

Finish it off with a sweet lotus bean soup and what do you have -- a sense of satisfaction mixed in with a drowsiness the likes of which only a supportive fan-cooled matress can cure.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jon
I've been reading your blog lately. I hope the best for you and your wife. I am coming in HCM this week to start work. I like to play football a lot. I'd be glad to join the raiders. Who should I contact?
Thks
Eliot

Jon Hoff said...

Hi Eliot. Firstly, where are you from and secondly, are you DEFENDER???
The first thing to do is come along to our training sessions on Tuesday nights at Parklands, Saigon Country Club, Anh Phu, District 2, from 7pm. Meet some of the guys and from there we can see your ability. Need any more info drop me a line. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Jon, that narrow house is actually just an excuse to rent billboard space on what appears to be a major intersection. Actually, I think I found an even narrower and smaller house -- check it out here:
http://layered.typepad.com/antidote_to_burnout/2006/06/a_very_small_vi.html
-- Mel

Anonymous said...

Hey don't lie to everyone, dude - you guys went out in the first round to the girls in pyjamas whilst MY team won the trophy - I'm still wondering how you snuck into house to take that photo of the trophy...Nice one, all the same!

Jon Hoff said...

Mel - I presumed there was another story behind the house - it just looks so funny! So someone built it just so they could rent it out for that billboard?
Henno - the girls in PJ's won the award for 'Best Dressed Team'. They deserved something after losing 15-0 in a 20 minute game -- I mean, that's impressive!

Anonymous said...

You're right, that is pretty impressive :) Didn't see you at the afterparty?

Jon Hoff said...

Man we were there until about 7.00 I think - must have just missed you...I heard you were chatting to Jeppe!