Jun 29, 2005

Living in Viet Nam

So I'm going to try and devlop this blog both to encourage my students to devlop theirs, and because now I've started it I am quite into the idea of having one!

Having lived in Ho Chi Minh City for almost 7 months, I'm sure I can give you a fairly good run down on it. Its hot. Everyday. Hot. Rainy season has just started (June to November). Before that we had the hot months of Febuary, March and especially April, which was suffocating. I think its the hottest place in Vietnam.

Everyone is up and about exercising on the city streets at sunrise - that is, 4.30 in the morning. After 11.00pm, the city sleeps. These times are true except for a small minority (that I am part of).

Commuting in the city is asking for hospitilization, but everyone does it anyway, you don't have a choice. There are thousands upon thousands of bikes jostling for space - combined with the exhaust fumes, the honking horns the beating sun and trying to stay alive, it can make quite an intense experience. During rush hour, it borders on ridiculous. Roads in HCMC define the saying - 'The only rule is : There are no rules'. Motorbikes are king, and a trip in a taxi is agonisingly slow, as the driver has to take ultimate care not to knock any bikes down - they don't stop, not even for red lights!

3 comments:

Tom said...

Jon,

You are one lucky man. I took a similar path as you 20 years ago and spent 2 years living and working in China. I made the mistake of returning to the United States to make 'real' money and get on with my life. I've spent the past 16 years or so trying to relive that portion of my life, with a little success. I've visited Vietnam twice in the past year, which brought back alot of great memories. The students there seem fantastic. Keep up the great work!

aljensen said...

Awesome blog/

Jessica said...

In Vietnam, there are some outstanding things. For example, we will worry to come across the street when the polices don't work, there. The Vietnamese people are friendly, they are very happy when meeting foreigners.