Mar 28, 2012

Let's talk about the traffic police, not foreigners

I'm a little bit fed up with the way foreigners are being portrayed in the Vietnamese press when it comes to traffic violations. A while back Tuoi Tre's English online site published this article entitled 'Rouge' Foreigners'.
Thanh Nien quoted Sub Lieutenant Nguyen Luu Trung of the Mui Ne traffic police as saying: “Foreigners in Mui Ne often break traffic laws but it is very difficult to fine them due to the language barrier.” 
Another article published on March 16th by Thanh Nien is called Foreigners get a free ride with the sub heading  'Expatriates who violate traffic laws in Vietnam are let off the hook by the language barrier or small bribes'. 


I think we all know that pretty much everyone can be let off the hook with small bribes. Not just the foreigners  who must make up a tiny tiny percentage of Ho Chi Minh City's population.

Lets talk about this lot instead (Source)
Instead of making out that foreigners not obeying the law are the problem (which is some twisted front page tabloid journalism logic) lets talk about the traffic police themselves. 

Everybody knows what that beige uniform means, and what it stands for, and it would take an almighty shift to change that perception even if there is a few good guys wearing it. 

Personally, I've been stopped well over ten times in the time I've been here. And I've always paid a bribe. Not one ticket. Actually, I was stopped this morning too - yes - a big motivational factor in writing this today. The 'language barrier' argument is something that the press likes to write about and which foreigners utilise, making it impossible for our heroic police officers to just do their job. But there's no language barrier when it comes to numbers. 

An actual ticket (Source)
This morning, it was the policeman who was confused. He stopped me for driving in the wrong lane, and his English was good enough to explain there are three lanes, and I should be driving in the right-hand one. Never mind that 50 meters around the bend where he was hiding  standing that lane ceases to exist. He then tells me, in English, 200,000 VND. I say that I want a ticket. I have a license and registration, so I want a ticket. I think the price is around 50,000 VND and he has to fill out a nice long form. He then starts trying to bargain with me on the price of his ticket (read BRIBE) - "Ok - you - how much money - 100,000 VND". I continue asking for a ticket. So he agrees and goes over to his bike and gets the form out. He's very reluctant to start filling it in, and then keeps asking me how much I am prepared to pay. I ask him 'How much is the ticket'. And this is where the 'language barrier' suddenly kicked in. He no longer understood English! "How...much...is.....ticket" he mumbled like a beginner student in a primary school class, a look of intense confusion on his innocent face. Great acting I have to say. Then he remembered some English again and said happily - 200,000 VND! Eventually I got tired of asking for the ticket, negotiated a 100,000 VND BRIBE, laughed in their faces as they fished around for CHANGE from my 500,000 VND note and gave them the thumbs up for doing such a great job for the people of Vietnam. 


I'm not complaining about being legitimately pulled over. The problem is, that rarely happens. Dangerous driving, speeding, drunk driving? No. 

Hiding on a corner, on a road where the lane disappears in 50 meters, catching people going about their business driving a few inches on the wrong side of some paint on the tarmac, taking their money, and stuffing it in their pockets. Yes. And one of them was smoking on the job. Which they aren't supposed to do. And so it goes, on my 20km journey to work, the police always find nice places to hide, which - yes - they aren't supposed to do either. 

Perhaps if the traffic cops didn't 'play sneaky', then neither would all those naughty foreigners. 

10 comments:

Joe Piechura said...

Well said. I was pulled over for driving in the wrong lane too. The only reason I was forced to drive in the car lane was that there were 8 (yes 8) traffic cops blocking the whole of the bike lane. As I moved out to pass them (the only other option being to run them over - an option that in hindsight seems favourable), they flagged me down.

Another popular area for this little scheme is the area on Nguyen Thi Minh Khai, where the road narrows very quickly, forcing some bikes into the car lane. And I'm not going to claim that these sorts of dodgy tactics don't occur in every police force, just that most of them don't have personal profit in mind when they do it.

Complaining that foreigners bribe the police is like complaining that a foreigner drops a sweet wrapper, when the series of street cafes across the road dump all of their crap on the street every day of the year. Incidentally, most of these cafes are illegal and are only allowed to operate because they bribe officials.

Sonny said...

This is one of the things that pissed me off the most about my visit. Although they do target foriegners (ie - non Vietnamese looking) more, us Viet Kieu's also have to bribe our way through customs. I was also charged $50 for baggage on my ANA flight out of Vietnam for "over sized" baggage even though I measured it, yeah, the police officer there also doubles as a flight attendant.

But that is life in a corrupt poor nation where everyone is trying to get by.

Unknown said...

That doesn't seem to differ much from the Oz cops, except they don't take bribes. Recent examples.
A police radar at the bottom of a hill. Pretty much everyone was going to get booked.
Police radar 50 meters after the sign indicating a slower speed limit. Apparently there is an informal buffer zone and they should give tolerance of 200 meters.
Cops outside schools, hiding behind cars or trees and then popping out at the last minute. Bang you are gone. Fortunately I was only cruising that time.
In other states there is meant to be a visible sign warning of a radar. Amazing how these are only visible either as you pass or after you have passed them.

Jon Hoff said...

Absolutely agree. Police in the UK are exactly the same. But no bribes. All collecting money but for different reasons.

Malte Zeeck said...

Hello there! My name is Malte Zeeck, and I am with InterNations.org. I really enjoyed reading your fantastic blog! I think expats in Vietnam and around the world could really gain some great insights from this page. The quality of the blog in general is very convincing, which is why I would love to feature you and your writing on the Recommended Blog on Vietnam section on InterNations.org
Not only do we feature and link to your blog prominently; we also would like to hear from you directly in our questionnaire! We have also designed a link badge for your blog.
If you are interested, please feel free to contact me via email: maltezeeck@internations.org

Best,
Malte Zeeck

Anonymous said...

I usually just don't stop, drive normally (car) and pretend not to know what's going on. Then if they do chase me down, have literally waved them off a few times. Then if I have to stop, never get out of the car so they finally they have to come over. Then if I did nothing wrong yell at him constantly in VN and they often let you go. Or speak English and when he asks for license point and say I'm going that way, etc., until they give up. That's most episodes already. If they ever threaten to take the car say, 'Sure, no problem, I just lock it here then?' Last resort, pay 100-200k.

I'm maybe more annoyed by the car parking mafia everywhere who think they own all public streets and can charge you for nothing, or flip out if you park your car in front of their shop but are not going there or say their boss doesn't let anyone park there.

Anonymous said...

sure I've also had the experience that I was pulled out by the cops for legitimate (e.g. wrong lane driving but I had to take over a group of very slowly riding VN motorbike drivers who were riding next to each other chatting along!) reasons but why is nobody stopping the people from blocking the road or checking on drunk drivers at night... or daytime???
anyway, I managed to get a ticket every time but once when I didn't have my papers on me and they wouldn't agree that I would show the papers later at the police station. and I was surprised that the officers where really good with their English. can't remember where I read that article but it said the police has been sending their traffic troopers to intensive language courses over the last year - with success ;)
riina - nowadays in Vienna

sideley said...

Yesterday, a few colleagues and I went to the wedding of another colleague in Long An province, we hired a 16 seats minibus with driver. We were 12 in the vehicle and the driver drived very nicely. On our way out of Saigon, we went by freshly urbanised area with, according to some, high rate of bike jacking because of scarce habitations on the road side and no street light. We blamed the ineffectiveness and laxism of the police and local militia. Later in Long An, while our minibus was travelling gently, no speeding, on the right lane, we were asked to stop by a beige cop with his stick pointed at us. We knew we didn't do anything wrong and so did the driver but he didn't hesitated to get off with a 100,000 bank note . After lecturing briefly about our imaginary traffic rules violation, he asked for 200,000 then reluctantly accept 100,000 handed over by our driver after negotiation.

My local colleagues in th minibus didn't make a big deal of the incident. But I personally felt outraged: Instead of performing their duty, those rotten cops were publicly extorting money from people with impunity.

mrhoangpro said...

I think that you've lived here long enough to know our funny situation. I'm Vnese, and I'll be not suprised if anyone tell me about the VNese cops. But, regardless, there are many wondrous things in VietNam, right? :D

Anonymous said...

I was pulled over in Mui Ne nearby the red sand dunes as I was returning from the white sand dunes. I hadn't done anything wrong, and they didn't actually say I had done anything wrong. They checked my drivers license and they checked my that my bike was legitimately rented by my hotel (I had to call up the hotel on my VN phone). He asked me how much I had paid to rent my scooter. Eventually someone called the traffic policeman on his phone, and afterwards, the cop suggested that my U.S. license does not allow me to drive the scooter I was on. I insisted that I am allowed to drive scooters with my license, but not motorcycles. He threatened to keep my license. I said that was unacceptable. He threatented to keep my scooter. I said that was unacceptable. He then scribbled a couple of notes down on the back of a piece of paper and finally stated that they would let me off with a warning this time. A Russian "Nguoi Tay" got pulled over while I was pulled over too. Apparently they were just pulling over anyone who was a Westerner and then seeing what kind of dirt they could find on them. The Russian guy didn't have a driver's license, so he was probably in more trouble than me.