Jan 15, 2008

Bot Chien

In the search for potential venues for our Dine packages I finally managed to try some Bot Chien, a dish that always garnered my interest when I saw magazine columns regarding it. It looked Western to me, like fried squares of potato with fried egg on top. Mmmm just add a little salt and vinegar and tuck in, I thought. Here's a menu:

Thanks to my wife for the translations. Bot Chien is fried rice flour, Nui Chien is fried pasta and Khoai Chien is Indian Taro and rice flour, fried.

Bot Chien being prepared:


My plate, which was a combination of all three I mentioned above. Very tasty, and very, very cheap (10-15,000 VND a plate).

This place was on Vo Van Tan, where a few steamy Bot Chien places reside (the District Ten side of CMTT).

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Another Vietnamese dish to add to my list. Wow, I actually like this stuff. It reminds me of breakfasts I had in Turkey.

SaigonNezumi (Kevin)

Anonymous said...

in case, if you and Nezumi look a for an escape from the SG's stuffed atmosphere to get some refresh air, you might consider to take a trip down to Can Gio, it's located about 50 km southeast of SG, go down to Nha Be area, take 2 ferries, then 1 1/2 hour on motor bike you'll get to Can Gio; it's lied on one the mouth of SG's tributaries; there's a beach, called "3 thang 2", it's is not a spectacular 5 star resort :), as you expect, the water is muddy, but it's a quick getaway on weekend for some peace and quiet, and some seafood

Jon Hoff said...

Hey Viet
I actually posted about Can Gio on this blog a while ago. Went there on a school trip. Thanks for the tip anyway...! Hopefully they can build some bridges and make the journey easier.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post :-) ! I'll definitely try that when I come to Vietnam next week :-). Btw, is your cooking class part of the tour or you can sign up separately ?

Best,

Tram (Virginia, USA)

Jon Hoff said...

Hi Tram
Yes the cooking class can be booked separately. Just check the website www.connectionsvietnam.com for details or send me an email, jon@connectionsvietnam.com.

Anonymous said...

When I was young, 30 years ago, this is called "bánh đúc chiên" not "bột chiên". How come the name is changed?