Nov 17, 2007

Visions of 2020 to come true...?

Back in March this year I wrote a piece called 'Will 2020 ever come to Saigon'. In it I said :

What I envisage for the city is a pedestrian area encompassing Nguyen Hue, Dong Khoi and Lam Son Square. I am no urban planner and maybe it's too late to build the parking that would be necessary, but wouldn't it be nice.....

It looks like we may be on the first step towards this, according to a column inch in Thanh Nien recently (this taken from their new printed English version.

Picture 495

One can only wonder how much truth there is in this article, and how long it will take to implement such a plan. The word used is 'consider', so they are still only thinking about it. Personally, I think it's a great idea!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't see how this will be possible. What about the people that live on these streets? How will they get home? Where are they supposed to park their bikes? Same goes for people that work on these streets. I like the idea too, but doesn't seem very practical.

Anonymous said...

Hello John! I'm a Vietnamese-American look to return to Vietnam to live, I found your blog a few months ago. I've been trying to learn about the expat's experience thought these blog pages. I've been reading your blog the last few months and I've have just discovered that you are also a fellow Virtual Tourist (VT) member =D I'm planning a short trip to Vietnam in Feb. so maybe we can have a little VT meeting there. My name on VT is Fondest_Memories.

-Ken

Anonymous said...

rumour has it the England football national team is having problem to get qualified for the world cup 2010 in S. Africa, wondering the Viking players are any good??? ... then please give them your support, will you? :)