Sep 22, 2007

Fish Soup and Crab

Vạn Kiếp is a small street running between Phan Xích Long and Phan Dăng Lưu. Unusual in HCCM, a collection of street food style vendors straddle under the one canvas selling all manner of things.

Picture 006

Bún Mắm was one such dish being sold, a fish broth choc full of prawn, pork, eggplant and squid. Very fishy, but not bad at all (I am no food critic).

Picture 002

Other stalls in this short row were selling things like bun bo hue and Chinese noodles.

Over on Dien Tien Hoang is crab heaven. Can you spot the number?

Picture 008

Chả Giò Cua Biển, in English, crab spring rolls. And my my, crab spring roll is no lie. Check out the white, succulent contents of these puppies.

Picture 010

Chunky crab spring rolls go well mashed up in a bowl with soft white noodles, the usual addition of herbs and salads and a sprinkling of fish sauce - I can still taste it now. I often read travellers criticising Vietnamese food -- show them to my door, the fools.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reading your previous entry like "cholon" I realise that you know much about places in VN. And now reading this entry, I know that you pay attention to vnese dish too. It's really great! I'm so excited to discover your blog as well as your thoughts of living in my country. But it takes me a long time to read (you know that I have to use my dictionary sometimes ^_^)so I will take my time to enjoy this

Anonymous said...

in case, you want to eat American food like pork rib barbecue, there's a restaurant on Pasteur street called Texas Bar B Q serves very good barbecue

tweeboowee said...

oh wow...that looks really yummy. i would like to go to vietnam sometime to actually experience where my family came from.

Jon Hoff said...

Hi Vu! Thanks for your comment! Yes I pay attention to VNese dishes....it is difficult not to.

Anonymous said...

Vietnamese cuisine is yummy, but one becomes afraid of food poisoning. (Trust me, it's not a good experience.)