Apr 1, 2007

Observations of a peeping tom

As I while away the hours in my rocking chair by the window of my 16th floor apartment, I occasionally lean forward to tweak back the curtains. Below me snakes Rach Thi Nghe (a canal). The waterway is rumored to one day become an elevated highway but for now this stinky stream is part of the local environment. From my nosy perch, way up above in contemptuous apartments towering on its banks, I observe life unknowingly revolve. In the morning, the people exercise along its banks. Across the way is one of many such sites along the canal. An 'environmental' cleanup project, probably to pump water away from the area, as low lying areas nearby are flooded during wet season.

Picture 131

I try and catch them at it (working) but to no avail. From my detective skills (and hours of patient observation) I reckon that them concrete tubes goes down the hole. The hole is something of a mystery edifice. All manner of odd noises are emitted from it's depths. Clunking, whirring, shunting, even heavy breathing -- something is going on down there, but all I can ever see is construction workers gazing down into the abyss, scratching their heads.

Picture 136

I've never seen anything go in, and nothing comes out -- however, there could be an underground city down there for all I know.

Check the first picture again, and look in the bottom right hand corner. This chap is braver than me, or he has lungs made of leather.

Picture 132

Picture 133

He's not the only one with the guts to enter the canal....some even do it for fun. Can you imagine - 'Mummy, I'm just off for a swim with all the other toxic chemicals'.

Picture 140

Picture 143

I would go down and give them the 15 odd thousand it costs for a swim in a real pool, but I might miss something. The school, along with its tannoy system, gets going at about 7.00.....a good alarm clock.

Picture 144

Throughout the day, people enjoy the relative tranquility under the trees.

Picture 145

A nice place for a picnic.

Picture 147

Come over on any Sunday afternoon and take stroll -- maybe a nice alternative to the parks. It's a charming scene of urban life, a very real snapshot of Ho Chi Minh City. There's a lovely pagoda just past the bridge, and a few quiet places to stop for a drink. It seems so far away from the madness of the city, it's worth a look. Maybe if I ever get motivated to leave this chair, I'll give you the tour from ground level.

Picture 148

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha you sloth

Unknown said...

The projects along are the canal are part of a grant to clean the canals. It is happening along the canal where I live. When they are all done, the canals are supposed to be cleaner.

Annie said...

Hey, where exactly do you live? It looks just like the canal near my apartment. Are you in the Binh
Thanh district...near the Thi Nghe market?

Jon Hoff said...

Thi Nghe Market is on Bach Dang? I am in Mieu Noi apartments, just off Dinh Tien Hoang...