Feb 15, 2010

First TET (for Lou)

As obliged, a little from this years TET. New Year's Eve was mum's house for lunch, I had thit kho trung. I took a few short videos of Lou and I enjoying the neighborhood atmosphere.

A walk round the corner.


Lou gets mugged by some neighbours.



And again:


New Year's Day and we visited grandma (or great-grandma for Lou) in County Cu Chi. I had thit kho trung.

Here's Lou bantering with a young scallywag. She gets told off and looks quite unsure what to do.


Here she is, enjoying a break in the hammock:


I think what we can confirm as her first true word beyond syllables is 'bong bong'... Vietnamese for balloon - she's close to saying 'baby' as well but prefers a anglo/vietnamese mix of ba be...


I am off to enjoy the rest of the holiday, wonderfully quiet and happy Saigon, and yes, have some more thit kho trung....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought squeaking shoes were compulsory for all children under the age of 3.

Mizuki said...

Very cute little girl you've got! I've been following you blogs for a while, and enjoy them both. Our lives have followed quite similar paths, as I was in Vietnam, then Japan and have come back to the UK to do a PGCE in Primary. I am interested as to why you chose to leave the UK and go back to Vietnam, correct me if I'm wrong but you sounded a little negative about being back in England and wanted to return to Saigon asap. Of course one reason is your wife, but what other factors came into play when deciding where to settle down. England and Vietnam are such contrasting countries with in my opinion an equal amount of good and bad things about them. Keep up the blogging!

Jon Hoff said...

Anon - I am looking for a slightly deeper level of stimulation for Lou than that!

Mizuki - very interesting..! If you are reading my 'other' blog, which I think lost me a few readers from this one to be fair - cause a lot of my regular commenters disappeared after the 'other' blog was announced here - then you should be able to guess why I wouldn't want to stay in the UK.

But that's just part of it. We can live a much better life here in Vietnam, as things currently stand. We have a business here and there are opportunities here to expand/do other things. Travel around the region is cheap and well serviced with budget airlines. Or we can have a week long beach holiday in Vietnam for $500 or less. That's all on top of my political beliefs regarding the UK and the direction it is heading.

Anonymous said...

I don't believe in those types of conspiracy theories, but I don't see why it would stop me reading this blog. Along the same lines - I don't believe in God but I don't have any problem with people who do, as long as they don't try to convert me to their way of thinking.